Surf Forecast Fri 10th – Wed 15th July, 2020
A major reactivation of the Southern Ocean storm track set in across South African longitudes last weekend; featuring an intense mid-latitude low that generated a vast area of 40 to 50ft+ seas and swell; the ingredients of a first, long-range SW groundswell that’s now traversing the southern Indian Ocean and due to arrive across Victorian coasts this weekend. However, the vast distance covered by this energy renders is very small in height; the bulk of deepwater energy forecast to arrive on Monday at just a few feet – but at long-intervals of 18 seconds.
- Fri New pulse of WSW groundswell wraps at a fun size, with light northerly winds giving way to moderate NNE to NE breezes, favouring southern exposures all day.
- Sat Small WSW groundswell wraps infrequently, under light NW winds, tending to variable sea-breezes in the arvo.
- Sun Scope for a gradual building trend in combined, long-range SW and SSW groundswells, with scope for early light winds, deteriorating under developing an onshore SSE to SSW flow in the arvo.
- Mon SW groundswell gradually eases, with freshening ESE to SE winds setting in throughout the day.
- Tue Renewed increase in long-range WSW groundswell sees infrequent sets, effected by moderate to fresh ESE/SE winds. Stay tuned.
- Wed Potential continuation of mid-sized SW groundswell, with persistent, fresh SE/ESE winds hampering conditions throughout the day.