Surf Forecast Fri 10th – Wed 15th July, 2020
A major reactivation of the Southern Ocean storm track set in across South African longitudes last weekend; featuring an intense mid-latitude low that generated a vast area of 40 to 50ft+ seas and swell; the ingredients of a first, long-range SW groundswell that’s now traversing the southern Indian Ocean and due to arrive across Victorian coasts this weekend. However, the vast distance covered by this energy renders is very small in height; the bulk of deepwater energy forecast to arrive on Sunday and Monday at just a few feet – but at long-intervals of 18 to 20 seconds.
- FriNew WSW groundswell gradually picks up throughout the day. Potential for 1 to 2ft sets across the South Coast. Early light NNE winds, tending NW in the afternoon.
- SatNew SW swell fills in, with uncertainty surrounds local winds.
- SunEasing SW swell hampered by fresh SW to SE winds.
- MonCombination of smaller-scale, long-period SW groundswells, with easing winds.
- TueLong range SW groundswell holds potential for larger sets, with long waits in between.
- WedLong range SW groundswell holds potential for 2 to 3ft+ sets across the South Coast, with long waits between sets.